Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Acquisition and Collection Development Section
- 16 January 2018, 09:41
Theme: "Being guided by our users: using assessment to build user-focused collections"
The Acquisition and Collection Development Section is seeking proposals for papers to be presented at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from 24-30 August, 2018.
As the amount and type of material that is published grows, libraries are increasingly using new methods to focus collection development efforts towards specific user needs and tailor acquisitions to what will be used by the community. A drive to be more evidence-based and make smarter decisions has increased the use of quantitative and qualitative assessment methods to understand how our collections are being used and what materials should be acquired. In addition, vendor systems and tools for how material may be purchased drive us to think about new ways of offering and purchasing content. This session aims to share successful collection assessment programs that focus on user and community needs in order to build collections that are valued and used.
In relation to user-focused assessment, we are kindly asking for submissions that pertain to any of the following areas:
- Institutional case studies that present compelling evidence of successful approaches that have had an impact on the institution’s community.
- Consortial examples of cooperative efforts based on user-focused data, enabling efficiencies and shared collecting or stewardship efforts.
- New approaches, vendor/publisher options, and methodologies (quantitative and qualitative) for using assessment in collection development.
- New tools that assist library workers in making evidence based decisions within a user-focused environment.
All submissions must be original, previously unpublished work, and may be in any of IFLA’s official languages. Abstracts must include:
- Title of proposed presentation.
- Abstract of the proposed paper (no more than 500 words).
- Name(s) of presenter(s) plus position/s and/or title/s.
- Language of presentation.
- Employer/affiliated institution.
- Contact information including email address, telephone number.
- Short biographical statement of presenter(s) (no more than 100 words).
Please submit abstracts by 28 February 2018 as an attachment in MS Word to:
Selection of papers by is based on the abstract, and presenters will be notified whether they have been successful by 1 April 2018. Completed papers must be submitted no later than 1 June 2018.
28 February 2018: Submission of abstract
1 April 2018: Notification to authors
1 June 2018: Submission of full text
We eagerly look forward to your contributions!
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Malaysia. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.