Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Reference and Information Services Section
The IFLA Reference and Information Services Section invite proposals for papers to be presented at the session “Reference and Information Services Shifting Gears.”
As the nature of reference and information services work changes, adapts and evolves in light of transformations in the wider world, what should we anticipate as new skills for our job descriptions and professional competencies? We are seeking proposals to present a workshop style session that address how to acknowledge and develop skills and competencies in the following areas:
- Meeting the information needs of citizens and immigrants
- Embedding library services
- Providing expert advice in areas of intellectual property, research data management, knowledge management
- Helping individuals evaluate information
- Evaluating electronic resources
Workshop presentations should focus on aspects of skill development or competencies as they relate to the above areas of service delivery. For example: a proposal could discuss how to train librarians to use skills of empathy, cross cultural communication, humility, open-mindedness to meet citizen information needs. We invite papers that outline new skills and competencies for reference and information services and those that acknowledge the skills and competencies that remain unchanged even in a world of transformation. Proposals should include a description of a particular service or innovation in a service and activities or discussion topics that you would implement in a workshop style setting (e.g. banquet style set-up with about 10 people per table). Strong proposals will ensure that participants have learned about skills or competencies and have specific take-aways from this session.
All proposals must be received by 15 February 2018.
Please submit a 300 word proposal to our online form.
- 15 February 2018: Deadline for submitting proposals for workshop sessions
- 15 March 2018: Successful Speakers will be notified, and IFLA forms completed by RISS and the Speakers
- 18 May 2018: Deadline for submission of completed papers to RISS. The paper should be no more than 3000 words in length. The paper should be in one of the IFLA official languages, but the conference language will be English.
- 15 June 2018: Deadline for submitting any Power Point slides that will be used in the presentation.
Both abstracts and full papers should be submitted as an MS Word file by email. Proposed papers must be original and not have been published elsewhere.
Please contact: Marydee Ojala, Secretary, Reference and Information Services Section
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Malaysia. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.